Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Herbal Remedies

     

 Okay so as part of my prepping I am trying to learn as much as possible about herbal and alternative medicine. I have been trying them out as necessary and feel very accomplished after the last week. My 10 year old daughter had a very nasty boil develop on her knee. It was very painful and didn't seem to want to come to a head or drain. I contemplated taking her to the hospital but then decided to try my hand at it first. So after some research and digging through my dried spices and herbs to see what I had on hand I made a rather thick poultice from Oregano, Garlic, and Thyme. All three of these have some antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Well we packed this onto a piece of clean muslin and tied it on to her knee over the boil. We repeated the process twice, keeping it warm and moist with a heat pack that I made from a rice filled sock microwaved and then wet. Well after just about 36 hours of this it came to a huge head, we were able to open and drain it and in two days it was gone. Now the only trace of it left is the open hole in her knee that is closing up rather well and quickly. I was extremely impressed at how quickly this worked and how easy it was to do.

     So has anyone else out there tried their hand at herbal or alternative medicine? How has it gone? What experiences have you had from it? I would like any advice or comments.

2 comments:

  1. I always have been told to put raw bacon on a boil. It has always worked for me. I need to look into herbal remedies more. This is one area of prepping that I have a long ways to go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is one of the main things we are focusing on as prepping. With five children I wanted to make sure that I could take care of anything that might happen. Also we have family members that are on meds for various conditions, that i have been looking for herbal alternatives for just in case they are ever needed. I think our earthship is our biggest prepping move by-far though.

      Delete