Not having an oven makes it hard to enjoy some favorite comfort foods. Well, I have found a way to make one of ours without an oven. It is a hit every-time I make it. There never seems to be enough to go around. Here it is. Let me know what you think.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons each chopped fresh basil and parsley, plus more for garnish
- freshly ground pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 8 sheets no-bake lasagna noodles, broken into small sections
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into ribbons
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and cut into ribbons
- 3 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 pound mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
Heat the 1/4 cup olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic; cook until golden. Add the tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, spinach, 1 tablespoon each of the herbs, and pepper to taste; cook until saucy. Transfer to a blender and puree. Return the sauce to the skillet and reduce the heat to low.
Meanwhile, mix the ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, the remaining 3 tablespoons each of herbs, and cayenne pepper to taste in a bowl.
Place broken lasagna noodles over the sauce in the skillet. Push noodles down into sauce adding water to cover completely if necessary. Cover and cook on medium-low heat until noodles are just under done. Top with the ricotta mixture in spoonfuls. Cover and simmer until the lasagna is cooked done and the cheese melts